When was the last time you went anywhere without your dance bag? It’s easy to stuff every single thing you own into your bag, but lugging a heavy tote or backpack everywhere you go isn’t good for your body and can lead to back issues, among other injuries.
Still, there are some essentials every dancer should have on hand at all times. Here are the 10 things every dancer should carry in her bag.
1. All of your shoes. Just because tap isn’t on your agenda today doesn’t mean you may not be asked to whip out your shoes for a quick time step. Always be prepared, whether you’re headed to your regular studio classes or (especially!) to a big audition.
2. An extra set of everything. Tights, leotards, sports bras, shorts, and tops, especially. You don’t need to carry your entire wardrobe with you, but it’s always smart to have a backup outfit on hand.
3. A cozy cover-up. Seriously, why is the studio always so cold?!
4. Bobby pins and hair elastics. You can never have enough.
5. A needle and pink thread. Pointe shoes sure are high-maintenance. But so much fun! And so shiny! (Keeping a spare set of ribbons on hand is a good idea, too.)
6. Toe pads. Obviously. Throw some Band-Aids in there, too.
7. A tennis ball, lacrosse ball, or softball. Use them to roll out your feet in between classes.
8. Hairspray, deodorant, and makeup wipes. You’re going to be dancing for a while. Your hair is going to fall out and you’re going to get sweaty and smelly. It’s a little unavoidable, but keep the crucial items on hand to offset the sweat and stink.
9. A bottle of water. Drink, refill, repeat.
10. Healthy snacks. Need a few ideas? We’ve got ’em.
Finally, don’t forget to clean out your dance bag every so often to keep it fresh and looking like new!