There are things you say to your school friends: “Hey, did you study for this test?” “Oh crap, I totally forgot to read that chapter for class today.” “Who do you want to go to the semi-formal with?”
And then there are things you say to your dance friends: “Tate’s totally going to win ‘So You Think You Can Dance,’ right?” “Did you see Travis Wall’s choreography on ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ last night?” “Who would you rather have as a boyfriend: Travis Wall, Teddy Forance, Nick Lazzarini, or Kyle Robinson?”
Then, of course, there are things you never, ever say. Here are 10 things no dancer has ever uttered.
1. “No, my body isn’t in any pain. My feet don’t hurt at all, and my knees feel great!”
Everything. Always. Hurts.
2. “I’ve never seen Center Stage.”
Yes, you have, and you know every line and all the choreography, too. Raise your hand if you’ve ever texted a friend with, “Today’s just one more day I get to dance.”
3. “Nah, I’m not that interested in seeing Hamilton.”
LOL, OK, sure. (The hype is real, people. Get thee to Broadway!)
4. “I’ve never done a leap down the aisle at the grocery store.”
We’ve all done it. And we’ve all loved it.
5. “My pointe shoes smell good.”
Sure. So do your toe pads, right?
6. “I can’t wait to go straight home after school today.”
What dancer has ever gone home after school? Nope, sorry — you’re high-tailing it to the studio, and will probably simultaneously change into your dance clothes, eat a snack, and slick your hair back in the backseat while your mom drives. (Thanks, dance moms!)
7. “I don’t think Abby Lee Miller seems that mean!”
Sure. It’s all for the cameras, right?
8. “I think I’ll get bangs.”
Oh yeah? And do what with them at competition? Sorry, not gonna happen.
9. “I hope we get to do lots of adagio today!”
Yes, please, teacher, let’s hold that developpé even longer!
10. “Yes, I’m totally free to hang out tomorrow night!”
Has literally never happened. “Sorry, I have dance!”