“I can’t, I have dance.”
How many times have those words come out of your mouth when your non-dance friends invite you to a sleepover, a football game, or a Saturday afternoon trip to an amusement park? And while your studio friends totally get it, your school friends may not. Here are 10 things every dancer has had to explain to her friends who don’t dance…
1. Yes, my competition lasts three full days. It starts Friday after school, goes late into the night, and then kicks off again bright and early Saturday morning. See you back at school Monday. Until then, it’s all dance, all the time.
2. Yes, I’m wearing a leotard underneath my school clothes today. Sometimes it’s just easier than attempting to change in the car between last period and that 3:30 pm ballet class.
3. Yes, that’s glitter in my hair. I tried to get it all out after this weekend’s competition, but after 20 minutes of scrubbing in the shower, I gave up.
4. Yes, I can do a split. No, it doesn’t hurt.
5. No, I don’t watch Dance Moms. And no, my studio is nothing like that.
6. Yes, we danced to that song you’re just now hearing on the radio. Last year. And yes, we’re really excited about it, so sorry for saying, “I danced to that song” for the 38295th time.
7. Yes, I’m tap dancing underneath my desk. No, I’m not really aware that I’m doing it.
8. Yes, that was my hip cracking you just heard. BRB, gotta get the other side.
9. No, I don’t want to watch Center Stage or Step Up with you. I only watch those with my dance friends, sorry. It’s just different.
10. Yes, I’ve already seen that dance video everyone is talking about right now. I saw it a week ago, and I know the girl in it. We compete against each other at Nationals every year.
Got any to add? Let us know in the comments!