Sometimes, we’re so busy go-go-going about our very busy lives that we don’t take time to pause and celebrate our daily victories and accomplishments. Don’t wait for your next competition to accept an award or to bask in your own glory. Here are 11 “firsts” that are definitely worth celebrating.
1. The first time you land a single, double, or triple pirouette.
2. …and then the first time you do all that again — on your “bad side.”
3. Your first platinum, high score, or special award. No, it’s not about the trophies and the recognition. But it doesn’t hurt. Bask in that spotlight!
4. Your first solo performance. It’s scary and exciting and terrifying and thrilling, all at the same time — and all packed into just two and a half minutes. The second you come offstage, having survived (which you will), jump for joy in the wings!
5. The first time you drive yourself to the dance studio. (OK, it’s not totally dance-related, but yay of getting your driver’s license!)
6. The first time you actually wash off all your stage makeup before going to bed. (Keep that up!)
7. Your first performance with the “big kids.” Getting to perform with your studio’s more advanced dancers is a big deal. So are you.
8. The first time you watch your competition or recital video and don’t immediately pick it apart and criticize yourself. Constructive feedback is great. But watch for enjoyment the firs time around, and celebrate all the things you did well and rocked out.
9. The first time you’re driving with your friends and a song comes on the radio and you don’t immediately interrupt the conversation to shout, “I danced to this last year!” There’s a time and a place. The time and place are usually with your fellow dance friends.
10. The first time you do a grand jeté down an empty aisle at the grocery store. Consider it your dancer badge of honor.
11. Your first pair of pointe shoes. A moment you’ll surely never forget.
We want to know: What recent first or dance-related victory are you celebrating? High fives and cheers all around!