If the thought of indulging in a spa day gets you all perked up, we’re right there with you. But spending an hour (OK, go crazy: 90 minutes) getting a massage isn’t just a treat — it’s also really good for you. While sports massages with licensed professionals are generally the best bet for dancers, deep tissue or Swedish massages will also help loosen you up and restore order to your otherwise tired body. Here are five reasons to book a massage ASAP.
1. It’ll help you relax. A plush robe, a pre-massage steam, and a swank waiting room? Sign us up! Though not every spa experience is Kardashian-level luxe, just being at a spa or at a massage therapist’s office can immediately help you de-stress, disconnect for a bit, and relax. Consider it a mental massage!
2. It can help with injuries. This is where it’s crucial to make sure you’re seeing a trained, licensed massage therapist. A professional will know all about your anatomy and can properly work out kinks in your psoas, IT band, and other commonly overworked areas for dancers.
3. It’ll keep you limber. Unless you’re actually foam rolling twice a day (anyone?), getting regular massages will help keep your muscles stretched out and loosened up.
4. It helps with recovery. All that muscle stimulation speeds up your recovery process — and it’s a lot more enjoyable than an ice bath!
5. It’s fun! Never underestimate the power of a personal day. It’s physically and mentally re-stimulating. Make a day of it with your girlfriends or fly solo — just be sure to bask in the experience.
And just a reminder: No cell phones allowed on the massage table! Leave your phone behind so you can really live it up.