Maud Arnold is one of the greatest forces in the tap world. She’s one of the stars of the newly released Tap World, she’s one of the Syncopated Ladies, and has appeared on everything from “So You Think You Can Dance” to “Boardwalk Empire.” (It doesn’t hurt that dance is literally in her DNA: Her big sis is tap star—and frequent costar—Chloé Arnold!)
When it comes to personal branding, Maud’s got her rep on lockdown. She’s got style, she’s got grace, she’s definitely got talent, and she has “the look.” (That hair! We want it.) So naturally we were dying to get inside her brain. Maud happily indulged us—here are her top audition tips!
1. Audition as much as possible. Auditioning is a technique, and you have to practice it to really get comfortable with it.
2. Wear something sleek and colorful and in the style of the audition.
3. Show up early and have every style of dance shoe in your bag.
4. Be prepared!
5. Have fun! Don’t take the audition too seriously in the moment. People can see and feel your tension.
6. After the audition, leave it in the room. Don’t stress over it, don’t talk about it, don’t be all, “I messed up, they weren’t looking at me,” etc. What’s meant to be will be. Leave what you did in that moment in that room and continue your day being thankful you got to attend the audition. The more you’re seen, the better!