Few things say “Merry Christmas” quite like the super sparkly, perfectly precise, high-kicking Radio City Rockettes.
The Radio City Christmas Spectacular, which calls New York City’s famed Radio City Music Hall its home base (in addition to several touring cities), is a holiday classic. (Did you know Jo+Jax’s own Joey Dowling is a former Rockette?!) Here’s a bit more about the leggiest ladies in all the dance land…
- The 80 Radio City Rockettes are split into two separate 40-member casts. The casts switch off for the five daily performances.
- The Rockettes do their own hair and makeup! It’s not a complicated look: red lips, fake lashes, and a French twist.
- Rehearsals are no joke! Radio City rehearsals start in September and take place five days a week from 10 am until 6 pm.
- More than 500 dancers audition for the Christmas Spectacular every season. That’s a lot of competition!
- In order to be a Rockette, you have to be between 5’6″ and 5’10 1/2″.
- The Rockettes’ tap shoes have wireless microphones attached to them! (No muffled sounds here!)
- The Rockettes will go through 15,000 red dots each season, which are applied to their cheeks during the fabulous “Parade of the Wooden Soldiers” routine.
- Each Rockette will perform 16 shows per week during the busy season — that’s up to five shows per day, and 102 shows each season.
- Think you’ve mastered the art of the quick change? The fastest change in the Christmas Spectacular is a mere 78 seconds (between “Parade of the Wooden Soldiers” and “New York at Christmas”).
Those super sparkly “Snow” costumes in the show’s finale? Each dress is adorned with more than 900 Swarovski crystals, and each dancer’s costume is a bit unique (just like a snowflake).
- Each Rockette wears nine different costumes throughout the show.
- And those eye-high kicks? The Rockettes do 1,500 of ’em on their busiest show days. Each show boasts 300 kicks. Hello cardio!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!