New year, new goals.
If you’re looking to get JJ inspired to amp up your New Year’s resolutions, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve brainstormed some crafty, creative goals for 2018 and some tips for achieving them.
#GOAL: EAT HEALTHIER.
When you fuel your body the right way, your performance will improve. After all, food is energy. Take 2018 as a refresh and reap the benefits of a nutrition-focused diet. Try these tips:
- Drink lots of water before, during and after dance class. Sometimes, we mistake hunger for thirst.
- Food prep time! Make sure your dance bag is filled to the brim with healthy, grab-n-go snacks for a quick fix. We recommend these snacks.
- Eat a protein + carb rich breakfast for energy that will keep you going.
#GOAL: INCREASE FLEXIBILITY.
Who doesn’t want a middle split that goes on for days? If you’re looking to nail your splits or achieve the desired 180 degree straddle, set your focus on flexibility in the new year. Here are some tips to take your flexibility routine to the next level:
- Hold your stretches for at least 30-60 seconds.
- Take yoga 2-3x a week to keep your muscles supple.
- Every night after dance class, stretch after a warm bath — your muscles will be more flexible, allowing for a deeper stretch.
#GOAL: ALLEVIATE PERFORMANCE ANXIETY.
Competition and convention season is upon us. If you are starting to feel anxious or tend to crack under pressure, it’s time to check in to your mental space. What better time than the present? Here’s our prescription for the new year:
- Practice meditation. There are a lot of great apps you can download on your phone to clear any negative mental energy.
- Keep a journal and jot down all your thoughts to get them out of your head.
- Practice stepping out of your comfort zone on a daily basis — that’s where growth happens!
#GOAL: REVAMP YOUR STYLE.
When you look good, you dance well. Shop Jo + Jax for the latest studio looks that suit every style, from b-girl to bunhead. Here’s how:
- Visit us at our NYC boutique to check out our newest styles.
- Shop online at joandjax.com.
- See us on the road — we’ve got pop-up shops at comps + conventions near you, all across the country!