Competition auditions are just around the corner! This is such an exciting time of year! The best way to kill it at your audition is to be prepared before you step into the room. Let’s discuss some great ways to prep for your auditions so you will feel confident and have the best experience possible.
Half the battle is knowing what exactly the teacher/choreographer wants from you. Look into the choreographer’s style and familiarize yourself with their movement style. Head over to YouTube and Instagram to see if you can find any short clips of their choreography. The more research you do, the more comfortable you will feel when they start teaching! It is all about prepping yourself. Here are a few things to consider during your competition audition process:
OWN YOUR STYLE
- Continue to enhance your own stylized movement and approach
- Focus on your strengths and what makes you shine
- If you need to improvise, always showcase the best version of you!
Use Your Emotions To Your Advantage
- Always stand strong
- Do not get discouraged
- Use any nerves and jitters as extra energy and adrenaline when you move
- Express yourself through your face as well as your body
- Take a deep breath and have fun with it!
- Do not let unsureness or nerves cause you to not showcase your best
- Let go of judgement. Trust yourself. You’ve worked so hard for this audition, trust the process!
PREPARE YOUR BODY
- Choose healthy foods the night before an audition
- Warm up before the audition (you know your body best)
- Do your pre-audition prep! Consider what gets you pumped up to showcase your best dancing
- Listen to music to help relax yourself and quiet your mind
If you are feeling nervous, remember why you are auditioning in the first place. You love dancing! Have fun and try your best. Every audition is a learning experience and a great way for you to get stronger and feel more confident. Best of luck to everyone who is auditioning for competition season this month.