Your teacher, parents, wise older brother, or smart nutritionist sister have probably told you to “eat lots of protein to help you recover faster after a hard rehearsal,” right? And it’s pretty likely that you hear protein and immediately think “chicken, steak, or salmon.” While those are all great sources of protein (and they’re oh so delicious!), there are tons of other foods you’re probably eating that also pack a protein-filled punch.
Take note of the foods below, and keep them handy for post-class or rehearsal bites (no artificial protein powder shakes needed!).
- Hummus (2.4g of protein in 2 tablespoons)
- Almonds (6g of protein in 23 almonds)
- A hard-boiled egg (6g of protein)
- Peanut butter (7g of protein in 2 tablespoons)
- String cheese (8g of protein in one cheese stick)
- Low-sodium or natural beef or turkey jerky (9g of protein in a one-ounce serving)
- KIND bars (around 5g of protein per bar)