There are so many things in life your “regular friends” or “school friends” just don’t get. They don’t see Center Stage the same way you watch Center Stage. They want to go see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular because they like the high kicks and the live camels—not to scope out the technique of the girl playing Clara who, BTW, competed in your category last year for Junior Outstanding Dancer.
Here are 20 telltale signs you’re a dancer for life. Add your own in the comments below!
1. You never watch TV from the couch. You’re on the floor, casually laying in a center split.
2. You understand how absurdly realistic those mid-routine costume and hair changes are during the final Center Stage performance, but you still want to be Jody Sawyer and have begged your parents to let you dye your pointe shoes red.
3. Grocery store aisles aren’t for picking out food items—they’re for practicing your grand jetes and pique turns.
4. You can kill your choreography onstage, but at a school dance, where everyone expects you to be “OMG SO GOOD because you’re a DANCER,” you’re mega awkward. No choreography? Not the same.
5. You swear, if one more person asks you, “Do you watch Dance Moms?!”
6. You’re a pro at applying your stage makeup in three minutes flat, but when it comes to doing “normal” makeup for school or going out on the weekends, you’re clueless (and hooked on YouTube tutorials to help take you from stage to smoky eye).
7. You kind of secretly don’t hate the smell of an entire can of hairspray.
8. You can’t hear a song without choreographing to it in your hand. (Raise your hand if you’ve got Adele’s new song all ready to go!)
9. When the rest of the class is silent and taking a test, you’re tap dancing underneath your desk. Or while waiting in line in the cafeteria. Or at the movies. OK, you’re basically always time stepping.
10. Your “pump up mix” is basically just The Nutcracker.
11. If you’re not inadvertently tap dancing while waiting in lines, you’re launching into a casual tilt to pop your hips. And you don’t even notice when the six people around you all gasp in horror.
12. You own more bobby pins than your local CVS.
13. Your feet are disgusting. Just…so gross.
14. You tell people you speak French. What? Being able to properly pronounce sur le cou de pied makes you basically bilingual!
15. Every time a song comes on the radio, you proudly exclaim to your friends (who, sadly, do not care), “I danced to this once!”
16. You have absolutely no shame when it comes to changing in front of people, and can proudly go from leotard to prom dress in 10 seconds flat.
17. Your “celebrity crushes” are named tWitch, Travis, or Teddy.
18. Relationship goals: tWitch and Allison.
19. Everything starts with “5, 6, 7, 8…”
20. “Sorry, I can’t. I have dance.” Your friends are so used to hearing it, you may as well tattoo it on your forehead.
What else? Add yours in the comments below!