“Want? What do I want?
Ever since I was a little girl there’s only been one thing I want.
I want—I want what every little red-blooded girl in America could want.
I want what I have wanted since the first day I learned how to want…
I want to be a Rockette!”
If you’re anything like us, you’ve dreamt of becoming a Rockette ever since you first saw the line of stunning precision dancers kick up their silver heels at the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. The Rockettes—who perform every holiday season as the stars of the Radio City Christmas Spectacular—are some of the most glamorous, impressive, and hard-working dancers in “the ‘biz.” If you’re serious about trying to make your dream a reality, here’s our advice to help get you to the Great Stage:
- Keep up your technique classes. A strong foundation in tap, jazz, and ballet is required of all Rockettes. And as their choreography is becoming more and more contemporary, it’s ideal to have training in supplementary styles such as street jazz, pointe, and musical theater, too.
- Practice precision. The Rockettes are a line of 36 women who dance as one. You can practice their unbeatable specificity and precision by paying close attention to the details your teacher gives in class. Where is the position of the hand? How crossed is your bevel? On what count should you land your pirouette?
- Get quick with choreo. Work on picking up choreography (and, of course, all the details) as quickly as possible. The Rockettes learn the entire “Christmas Spectacular” in just a few weeks. Speeding up your ability to pick up choreography will also help you to stay cool, calm, and collected in the Rockette audition.
- Focus on strength. The Rockettes are so, so strong—You have to be in order to perform up to six shows a day during the holiday season! Amp up the endurance, core work, and hamstring strength. Did you know that during all those eye-high kicks, The Rockettes don’t actually hang on or even touch each other at all. Each dancer holds herself up and the line only appears to be linked.
- Audition for the Rockette Summer Intensive. The Rockettes have their very own training camp where you get to learn choreography, rehearse, and even perform in front of an audience. This summer intensive will give you a real taste of what it’s like to be a Radio City Rockette.
Do you remember the first time you saw the Radio City Rockettes? Were you visiting New York City for the first time, watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on television, or streaming the “Christmas Spectacular” on Netflix? Share with us your first or favorite memory of The Rockettes!