It’s been an exciting competition season, and we’ve enjoyed traveling the country with our JJ shop! That being said, it’s finally that time again — nationals, baby! Preparation is vital if you’re looking to come out on top. We’re here to keep you focused, fueled and passion-filled with some of our top tips that’ll help you come out at the top.
- Don’t skimp on ballet. It’s important to keep your technique sharp! While you may want to keep practicing the counts in your solo, your technical score will soar if you’re focusing on keeping those fifths tight and maintaining a solid turnout.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Fueling your body is important, and the best way to prevent muscle cramps is by hitting your daily water requirements. The seasonal change also brings warmer temps, so don’t let that catch your body off guard.
- Practice meditation. When the nerves start to kick in, you may not know how to handle it. Performing on stage in a competitive setting is a breeding ground for anxiety. Take five to ten minutes a day leading up to comp to meditate and clear your mind. There are a lot of great apps for guided meditation, like HeadSpace!
- Embody your corrections. Don’t just let a correction go in one ear and out the other. Look back at your season and hone in on all the corrections that came your way from teachers and judges. It will take your performance to the next level.
- Foam roll for your life. Now is definitely *not* the time to get injured. Keep your muscles healthy and prevent tightness that could lead to injury with a foam rolling routine. Reap the benefits of self myofascial release. Here are our fave exercises for dancers.
- Stop the scrolling. Sometimes it’s fun to follow other dancers on instagram, but it can be detrimental when you start to compare. Trust your ability and don’t let social media limit your self worth.
- Treat every class like a performance. There’s no better time to practice your facials than in a class setting. It’s important to stay “on” even when you aren’t on the stage. This will make it easier for you to really go for it when it counts come performance time.